Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Monday - Franz Josef Glacier


Sitting here in the campervan at Franz Josef Holiday Park in the pouring rain.  It started raining just a bit as we were driving into town, but obligingly stopped so we could unload and reorganize the van for the evening.  We have all been sleeping surprisingly well in the campervan—I can’t remember the last time I got 9 hours of sleep that many nights in a row.  Probably never. 

The rain started up again in the middle of the night.  I have always found rain very restful and relaxing in the middle of the night.  Less so when I wake up in the morning and need to use the bathroom.  I waited for about an hour, reading in bed, to see if it was going to let up before I made the trek to the ladies’ room.  No luck.  Three hours later, it’s still going.  We decided today would be a good day to stay holed up in the camper, get caught up on reading, blogging, and (for the boys) homework.  I imagine we’ll get stir crazy after a bit, for for now it seems cozy.  The idea of climbing up a glacier in this weather is less than appealing.

Later:  Still raining.  We went to the Glacier Hot Pools, which were simply delightful.  The tarps keep most of the rain out, and what comes through feels refreshing as we relaxed and played in one of three hot pools:  36°C, 38°C or 40°C.  My favorite was 38°.  Then we showered and had a pleasant dinner at Monsoon restaurant & pub.  Monteith is the local beer, and must be popular since I actually heard someone calling her son by that name!

Later:  Still raining.  The pot we left outside on the picnic table has been filled and emptied twice and is now on its third go-round.  We estimate 9 inches of rain has fallen. (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment